Two Month Check Up

Well, I think it’s safe to say I have a chunk on my hands. Today at Harp’s two month check up, he weighed in at 16 lbs 1 oz and was 23.5 inches long. This is in comparison to 9 lbs 11 oz. and 20 inches on the day of his birth. The kid loves to eat….eh…I guess technically it would be considered drinking.

Harper was given his vaccines today. I made a bigger deal out of it than it turned out to be. For a couple of weeks now, I’ve been dreading it and it ended up not being too bad. He did cry, but it only lasted for about five minutes. Some good ole’ fashioned mommy love calmed him right now and then he went to sleep.

Let me ask you guys something. Do you think it’s weird for a stranger to walk up to you and ask if he/she can put the pacifier back in your baby’s mouth? Well, this happened to me at the doctor’s office today and I do think it’s weird. I’m a germ freak and I don’t want any stranger’s hands near my baby’s mouth. When she asked if she could, I just said no, without even thinking. I know I had to come off as a jerk to her, but I really didn’t mean to. Harper is going to get sick eventually, but I’m trying to get him to the three month mark before that happens. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I ended up getting rude with someone else after I left the doctor’s office. This one was more intentional though. Harper has acid reflux and is on medication for it. Before last month, I had never used Wal-mart pharmacy, but since they are literally right across the street from our apartment, I figured I’d give them a shot. I realized today that that was a big mistake. Last time I got the medication filled, they told me it would be 45 minutes. They have a texting service where they will send a text to your phone when your prescription is ready. After 45 minutes of walking around the store, I still hadn’t received a text. I decided to wait five more minutes to see if I would get one, and after five minutes passed, I figured there was just a glitch in their system. When I got back to the pharmacy, the lady informed me that they were out of the medication. I was not happy. I used to be a pharmacy tech and I TOTALLY understand that sometimes you run out of medication, but I was mad because they had let me walk around the store for nearly an hour without bothering to contact me. Harper was getting fussy, so that didn’t help the situation. The lady could see that I was mad and told me to wait just a moment. Twenty minutes later she informed me that they did in fact have the medication (apparently, it was stored in the wrong spot and they overlooked it), but not enough to fill my entire prescription – I’d have to come back for the rest the next day. By the time I left, Harper was screaming his head off.

So here were are today. After Harper’s check up, I decided to go ahead and get his medication filled again (the last one had 0 refills, or I would have just called in a refill – boo!). He still had a good hour and a half before his feeding time, so I figured it’d be safe to go to Wal-mart before heading home. I thought about taking the prescription elsewhere, but against my better judgment decided to give Wal-mart one more chance. This time I was told that the wait would be 35 minutes. I shopped for exactly 35 minutes (I know because I timed it!) and then headed on over to the pharmacy. I’m glad I went when I did because this is the line I encountered when  I got there:

They only had one employee checking people out, so it took roughly 30 minutes for me to get through this line. Harper was grumpy once we got to the cash register, but his pacifier was tying him over thankfully. I had just unloaded a 40 lb box of cat litter onto the counter-top when the lady told me that his prescription was not ready yet. I told her that at the drop off, I was told it would be 35 minutes, and that it had now been over an hour. I’m not going to lie, I was rude when I said it, but come on! Without apologizing, she basically repeated what had just come out of her mouth and told me I could go wait in line again. At this point, I told her to give me my prescription back and that I’d go somewhere else to get it filled. As if by magic, my prescription was suddenly being worked on…or that’s what they told me anyways. She continued checking other folks out while I just stood there waiting. Another 15 minutes passed and finally the medicine was ready. Harper had been getting fussy for a while, and part of me wanted to just let him cry so that it would annoy the pharmacy peeps, but I couldn’t. I consoled him as best as I could while waiting, but at the check out, I couldn’t do two things at once, so he started to really cry. The pharmacy technician said “bless his heart.” This really sent me over the edge for some reason and I let her know that he was hungry, and that it was their fault for making us be there for so long. I know…I’m terrible, but I was upset. Wouldn’t you be too, if you saw this face?!

The kid cries real tears when he’s hungry. Needless to say, I will not be going to Wal-mart pharmacy ever again, if it can be avoided.


One thought on “Two Month Check Up

  1. Dawn Smith says:

    I wouldn’t feel bad about being rude. You had every right to be.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: